The Marjorie Spevak Music Scholarship was established by Civic Music Association to honor Marjorie Shloss Spevak. Marjorie is a long-time supporter of Civic Music, serving many years on its Board of Directors and contributing generously of her time and financial resources to ensure its success. Marjorie has a passion for education, having served for fifteen years on the Des Public School Board and championing fine arts education in the schools. It is fitting that Civic Music Association, along with the Marjorie Spevak Endowment Fund established by her children, annually award two $500 scholarships in her honor to two students – one attending middle school and one attending high school – wishing to further pursue the study of music. The scholarship may be used toward expenses necessary for the student to advance his or her music study, including but not limited to: music lessons, instrument rental or purchase, or a summer music camp or program.
To be eligible for consideration for the scholarship, applicants must:
• Be a resident of Iowa
• Be a student in an Iowa middle school or high school during the 2017-2018 school year
• Be currently studying a musical instrument or voice
APPLICATION PROCESS AND DEADLINE
The following application materials are required:
• Completed application form sent via email to email@example.com with the subject line "[Last Name]- Spevak Scholarship application" or mailed to the address below.
• A completed recommendation from your music teacher (sent separately by teacher using the form linked below)
• A letter of recommendation from another non-related adult, i.e. teacher, employer, religious
leader or other adult who has knowledge of your character (sent separately by recommender)
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION FORM
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE TEACHER RECOMMENDATION FORM
All application materials must be received by March 31, 2017 to be considered.
Civic Music Association’s Scholarship Selection Committee will select scholarship winners based on the application and recommendations provided.
All scholarship applicants will be notified of the Committee's decision by April 28, 2017.
PRESENTATION OF AWARD
The recipients of the 2017 Marjorie Spevak Music Scholarship will receive their awards in June 2017 and be invited to attend Civic Music’s October 6, 2017 season opening concert.
Peter Stevenson, Executive Director
Civic Music Association
900 Mulberry Street, Suite 203
Des Moines, Iowa 50309